PurposeThe DC Metroplex BWI Community Roundtable is an initiative of the Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Aviation Administration (MDOT MAA), formed at the request of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The Roundtable shall be responsible for the following:
- Monitoring the implementation of air traffic procedures established by FAA in the District of Columbia Metroplex Project, including but not limited to the procedures implemented under the NextGen program;
- Identifying possible alternative routings and procedures;
- Evaluating noise effects and other environmental effects, of possible route changes; and
- Making recommendations to the FAA for further consideration.
Please register for the next
DC Metroplex BWI Community Roundtable
Feb 15, 2022
7:00 PM EST
Representatives from impacted legislative districts have been appointed by your elected officials to represent your community.
The meeting Agenda, any presentations and approved meeting minutes will be posted to this page following the meeting.
What is NextGen?
NextGen is the FAA’s action plan to modernize the national airspace system. This effort is composed of many different programs and initiatives including the use of satellite-based technology. More information on NextGen is available on the FAA’s NextGen homepage at https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/.
In 2014 the FAA began to roll out a number of performance-based navigation procedures for aircraft arriving and departing BWI Marshall Airport. These procedures use satellite technology to provide more precise positional information to the pilot and air traffic controllers, increasing the margin of safety and efficiency of the airspace.
What is being done by MDOT MAA at BWI Marshall Airport to mitigate noise impacts?
The implementation of NextGen led to a considerable increase in noise complaints at BWI Marshall. As a result, MDOT MAA supported the facilitation of a community roundtable, the DC Metroplex BWI Community Roundtable, comprised of community members and industry. The Community Roundtable has met continuously since 2017 and has worked tirelessly to effect change.
Additionally, MDOT MAA manages the Homeowners Assistance Program which has historically included the Residential Sound Insulation Program, Resale Assurance Program, and a Voluntary Acquisition Program. The Homeowners Assistance Program is currently on hiatus as MDOT MAA prepares for the next phase of the Residential Sound Insulation Program which is anticipated to begin in 2020. The Resale Assurance Program was concluded in 2008.
More information on these programs can be found here.
Are new arrival, approach, and departure procedures being submitted to the FAA for review?
The Roundtable has completed the design, analysis, review and approval of proposed arrival and approach procedure changes for BWI Marshall Airport. These proposed arrival and approach procedures were developed with technical advisement and support from MDOT MAA, MDOT MAA’s contractor HMMH, and Industry representatives from Southwest Airlines. The Roundtable developed proposed arrival and approach procedure changes to augment the FAA’s proposed departure procedure changes as presented to the Roundtable on April 24, 2018.
On November 19, 2019, the BWI Roundtable reviewed a noise and technical analysis of the proposed arrival and approach procedure changes and favorably voted to submit the proposed procedure changes to the FAA. The presentation is available on-line under the DC Metroplex BWI Community Roundtable Meetings and Documentation tab.
Based on discussions with the FAA, the Roundtable developed these proposed procedure changes with the understanding that once submitted to the FAA they would be considered for evaluation and potential implementation in the next FAA PBN Working Group for BWI Marshall.
For a complete list of FAQs please click here.
- FAA & MDOT MAA Community Outreach Open House, October 27, 2016 – Meeting Summary
- FAA & MDOT MAA Community Outreach Open House, October 27, 2016 – Public Comment Matrix
- FAA Washington DC Metroplex Post-Implementation Analysis (Presentation)
- FAA Washington DC Metroplex Post-Implementation Analysis (February 2017 Document)
- FAA & NATCA – BWI Traffic Analysis and Notional Paths Additional Materials (June 20, 2017)
- FAA & NATCA Presentation to the Roundtable – BWI Traffic Analysis and Notional Paths (June 20, 2017)
- Washington DC Optimization of Airspace and Procedures in the Metroplex (DC OAPM) Environmental Assessment Website June 2013 Prepared by: United States Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration Washington, D.C.
- FAA Order 8260.3E – United States Standard for Terminal Instrument Procedures (TERPS)
- 2015 10 22 – MDOT MAA Executive Director Letter to FAA (including FAA’s March 9, 2016 Response)
- 2016 04 25 – MDOT MAA Executive Director Letter of Response to FAA’s March 9, 2016 Letter (including FAA’s November 9, 2016 Response)
- 2017 03 31 – MDOT MAA Executive Director Letter to FAA advising of the Formation of the Roundtable
- 2017 03 31 – Roundtable Letter to FAA – Roundtable Resolution to Revert to Pre-DC Metroplex/NextGen Procedures
- 2017 04 05 – Anne Arundel County Executive Letter to FAA
- 2017 04 18 – Maryland Congressional Delegation Letter to FAA
- 2017 05 04 – FAA Letter in Response to April 5, 2017 Anne Arundel County Letter
- 2017 05 11 – Maryland Office of the Governor Letter to FAA
- 2017 07 25 – Roundtable Letter to FAA Regarding Remedial Operational Measures
- 2017 08 01 – Maryland Office of the Governor Letter to Secretary of the US Department of Transportation
- 2017 08 01 – Roundtable Letter to Maryland Congressional Delegation
- 2017 08 10 – Baltimore County Executive Letter to FAA
- 2017 09 08 – Roundtable Letter to FAA
- 2017 09 12 – Maryland Office of the Governor Letter to Maryland Attorney General Directing Legal Action
- 2017 09 19 – Anne Arundel County Executive Letter to Maryland Attorney General
- 2017 09 20 – Howard County Executive Letter to Maryland Attorney General
- 2017 10 26 – Maryland Senate Delegation Letter to Maryland Attorney General
- 2017 11 21 – FAA Letter in Response to Roundtable’s September 8, 2017 Letter
- 2017 12 04 – Roundtable Letter to Maryland Office of the Governor
- 2018 04 04 – Maryland Office of the Governor Letter to FAA
- 2019 01 25 – Roundtable Letter to FAA Regional Administrator
- 2019 03 11 – FAA Letter in Response to Roundtable’s January 25, 2019 Letter
- 2019 05 03 – FAA Letter in Response to Roundtable’s March 15, 2019 Email
- 2020 07 02 – FAA Letter to Maryland Attorney General
- 2020 08 14 – FAA Letter to Maryland Attorney General
- 2021 09 – MDOT MAA_2021 BWI Aircraft Noise Mitigation Report to General Assembly
- 2021 09 – MDOT MAA_2021 MTN Aircraft Noise Mitigation Report to General Assembly