The Maryland Environmental Noise Act of 1974 provides for the protection of citizens from the impact of transportation related noise. The aviation portion of the Act requires the MDOT MAA to create an Airport Noise Zone (ANZ) to control incompatible land development around BWI Marshall Airport and a Noise Abatement Plan (NAP) to minimize the impact of aircraft noise on people living near the Airport.
The initial ANZ and NAP for BWI Marshall Airport was established in 1976, and was updated and certified in 2014, incorporated by reference at COMAR 11.03.01.12-B(4). MDOT MAA has completed an update to the BWI Marshall ANZ.
2020 BWI Marshall ANZ Update
In 2019, MDOT MAA initiated an update to the BWI Marshall ANZ. The ANZ is determined by a composite of three noise contours: the ANZ study process considered existing conditions (2020) and two forecast years (2025 and 2030). The largest of the three contours in any area around the Airport determines the Noise Zone, thereby offering protection within the largest of the existing or future noise exposure contours. The noise environment around an airport is described by contours of equal noise exposure, representing the noise that occurs during an average 24-hour day, in terms of the Day-Night Average Sound Level (DNL, Ldn).
- 2020 BWI Marshall Airport – Airport Noise Zone Update (Full Document and Appendices) (234mb)
- 2020 BWI Marshall Airport – Executive Summary (4.6mb)
- 2020 BWI Marshall Airport – Airport Noise Zone Update (Main Body) (83mb)
- 2020 BWI Marshall Airport – Airport Noise Zone Update (Appendices) (151+mb)
- 2020 BWI Marshall Airport ANZ Tax Map Grid and ANZ with Tax Maps (54mb)
A Public Workshop and Public Hearing for the BWI Marshall ANZ update was held virtually on Thursday, January 28th, 2021. The Public Workshop and Public Hearing provided an opportunity for all interested persons to learn, ask questions, and comment on the ANZ. A presentation that provided an overview of the ANZ update process and the contour maps depicting the current and proposed boundaries of the BWI Marshall ANZ was given, and can be reviewed here.
If you have any additional questions or comments regarding the ANZ Update, please contact Mr. Bruce Rineer at BRineer@bwiairport.com. MDOT MAA is providing a response to some questions that were posed at the public workshop for which MDOT MAA indicated a follow up would be provided.
- 2014 BWI Marshall Airport – Airport Noise Zone Update (Full document) (20mb)
- 2014 BWI Marshall Airport – Airport Noise Zone Update (Appendices) (59+mb)
- 2014 BWI Marshall Noise Abatement Plan Executive Summary Brochure (2mb)
- 2014 BWI Marshall ANZ Tax Map Grid (1mb)
- 2014 BWI Marshall Tax Map Numbers 3, 4, 8, 9 and 15 (Anne Arundel) and 38 and 44 (Howard) (7+mb)