- ROAM Fitness, a first-of-its-kind fitness facility, opens at BWI Marshall Airport just inside Security Checkpoint D/E.
- BWI Marshall Airport sets an annual passenger record for the second consecutive year. More than 25.1 million passengers flew through BWI Marshall Airport in 2016. In addition to the cumulative record for 2016, the airport also set monthly passenger traffic records for each month during 2016.
- The Maryland Board of Public Works approves a plan to expand and improve Concourse E. The 3-level, 70,000 square foot extension will support additional international service.
- The retail program at BWI Marshall Airport earns second place recognition in the 2017 Airport Council International-North America (ACI-NA) Excellence in Airport Concessions Awards.
- Spirit Airlines begins international service at BWI Marshall Airport. Service to Cancun, Mexico begins in November.
- In August, BWI Marshall Airport welcomes Contour Airlines. The carrier provides service to/from Middle Georgia Regional Airport in Macon, Georgia.
- In November, 60-foot articulated, compressed natural gas buses are introduced, offering passengers round-the-clock service to the airport’s rental car facility.
- BWI Marshall Airport and concessions developer Fraport Maryland introduce the LaunchPad program for local entrepreneurs. Two LaunchPad businesses join the retail program at BWI Marshall Airport in the program’s first year.