- BWI Marshall Airport set a third straight annual passenger record in 2012. About 22.68 million passengers flew through BWI Marshall in 2012, a 1.3 percent increase over 2011 and a new all-time annual record.
- Two new airlines started service at BWI Marshall in 2012. In July, Condor Airlines started twice-weekly season service between BWI Marshall and Frankfurt, Germany. Frankfurt is a major international destination and an important European hub market. In September, Spirit Airlines began service to Fort Lauderdale and Dallas / Fort Worth.
- BWI Marshall installed a 505 kW solar photovoltaic system on the top level of the Daily Garage. The system was designed to produce over 600,000 kilowatt hours of electricity each year. The BWI Marshall solar project is one measure in a broad energy efficiency program for the Airport.
- In the summer of 2012, construction started on a major terminal enhancement program at BWI Marshall. The work will improve and modernize the passenger terminal and provide new services for travelers. The construction includes: a new, expanded security checkpoint; a secure connector between Concourses B and C with moving sidewalks and other passenger amenities; and an improved Concourse C facility with enhanced airline gate hold rooms and new food and retail space.
- BWI Marshall introduced a complimentary wireless internet option for travelers.
- The Airport continued its comprehensive, multi-year program to rehabilitate and improve runways and airfield pavement. The 2012 work focused primarily on Runway 10-28.