- 22.39 million passengers flew through BWI Marshall Airport in 2011. This annual passenger traffic figure, an increase of 2.1% over 2012, represents a new al-time record for BWI Marshall.
- BWI Marshall Airport installed electric vehicle charging stations during the spring of 2011. The eight charging stations, located in the Daily Garage and the Hourly Garage, allow travelers to charge their electric vehicles.
- In September 2011, BWI Marshall closed its two primary commercial runways for one weekend to complete a major pavement maintenance project. The improvement project rehabilitated the pavement located at the intersection of the two major runways.
- In November 2011, AirTran Airways shifted its operation from Concourse D at BWI Marshall to Terminal A/B, home of Southwest Airlines. Southwest formally closed on its acquisition of AirTran in May 2011.
- Delta Air Lines moved its operation from Concourse C to Concourse D in December 2011.