- BWI named the fastest growing airport among the 30 busiest in North America.
- Groundbreaking for BWI’s five-year, $1.8 billion expansion program.
- BWI becomes first airport in the U. S. to implement high-tech parking guidance system, BWI Smart Park, and the only metro-area airport with technology allowing customers to prepay for parking service (Pay-and-Go).
- BWI is credited with being one of the most powerful economic engines in Maryland, generating $6.5 billion and 85,000 jobs for the state’s economy.
- AirTran Airways joins BWI’s list of service providers with three daily non-stop flights between BWI and Boston and three daily nonstop flights between BWI and Atlanta.
- BWI serves two million passengers in a single month for the first time in July, then again in August.
- Total passenger traffic reaches more than 20.4 million, a new record for the eighth consecutive year and 3.9 percent increase compared with 2000 totals