- Runway 28 de-icing pad complete, cost: $7.4 million. The pad accommodates up to seven commercial jets. Phase II of the Runway 28 pad project will add a second 600,000-gallon de-icing fluid storage tank and construct an underground piping system to pump fluid to the tank, cost: $3.5million.
- MAA announces a unique public/private partnership that will build, own and operate new Cargo Complex on the midfield of BWI.
- Plans begin for renovation of Piers A and B, cost: $85.2 million. BWI project will provide more gates for the expansion of Southwest Airlines Co.
- BWI hiker/biker trail complete. The 12.5-mile recreational trail is the only one of its kind in the country that encircles the property of a major commercial airport.
- Southwest Airlines Co. opens first East Coast flight attendant crew base at BWI.
- BWI wins International Marketing Award for its innovative and effective advertising campaign in various British media outlets
- Total passenger traffic reaches more than 17.4 million, a new record for the sixth consecutive year and 16.2 percent increase over 1998 total.