- Federal Aviation Administration brings new, Terminal Doppler Weather Radar System (TDWRS) on line. The TDWRS is better able to detect microbursts and windshear.
- BWI’s new, state-of-the-art Aircraft Rescue Fire-fighting Facility opens in July, housing all aircraft rescue and fire-fighting resources in one location.
- Construction completed on $1.5 million project to modify drains at Pier C. Upgrades, and two additional glycol recovery vehicles, allow collection of de-icing fluid from 13 aircraft gates.
- BWI parking garage expansion project complete, providing a total of 5,600 spaces, 4,600 for public use and 1,000 spaces for rental car storage.
- First moving walkways installed from the airport’s parking garage through the pedestrian tunnel, open to the public.
- Frontier Airlines begins service from BWI to Denver, Colorado.
- Governor William Donald Schaefer International Terminal opens. The $140 million project features Light Rail service on the lower level.
- Total passenger traffic at BWI reaches more than 14 million, a new record for the fourth consecutive year.